Food Buzz Badge

Monday, July 2, 2012

Climb Ev'ry Mountain (At Least the Easy Ones)

I love Anchorage in the summer, last post's weather gripes aside.

We had fabulous friends over for dinner on Friday (there was an ill-fated clafoutis incident that I won't bother you with here), dinner with a friend of my parents on Saturday, and then walked past a street fair to meet some other friends later that night.  On nice days in Anchorage, you run into everyone downtown--forget six degrees of separation, it's more like two.

Yesterday David and I went hiking at Falls Creek Trail, which is a very steep uphill trail through trees to a valley at the end.  The state's website says the difficulty is "moderate," which may be true if you're a mountain goat or a Dall sheep.  My pedometer said that the uphill was the equivalent of going up 141 flights of stairs, if that can be believed, and my legs are a little on the sore side today.

A view of Turnagain Arm from
further up the trail.

By the time we rolled off the mountain dirty and sweaty, I didn't want to do anything too complicated for dinner.  Halibut tacos are one of the great Alaskan summer dishes--you can find them on menus around the state while the halibut is fresh, and while some restaurants are stupid enough to deep-fry halibut chunks for the tacos, this broiled version is much tastier and healthier.

I sauteed a small red spring onion and half a jalapeno and mixed them with a can of black beans for a side.  Green tomatillo salsa is a perfect complement to the tacos.

Halibut Tacos
Adapted from A Platter of Figs by David Tanis

1 lb. halibut steak or fillet
2 small peperoncino peppers, crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 head green cabbage, thinly shredded
1 lime, juiced
Small corn or flour tortillas
Kosher salt and fresh-ground black pepper

For serving:
Guacamole
Black beans
Lowfat plain yogurt or sour cream
Salsa

Pat the fish dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.  Preheat the broiler or, if it's a nice day, prepare your grill and cook the fish outside.

Combine the garlic, peppers and dried oregano in a ramekin, then spread on one side of the fish.  Drizzle the fish with olive oil on the same side.  If you have time to marinate the fish for an hour or so, cover it and put it in the fridge.  You'll want to let it come back up to room temperature before cooking.

In a small bowl, toss the shredded cabbage with a little salt, then add the lime juice and toss again.  Set it aside while you're cooking the fish.

Place the fish on a baking sheet and broil on high for about three minutes on each side.  The fish will be done when it flakes into large chunks and is opaque inside. 



Serve with warmed tortillas and garnish with the shredded cabbage and other fixings.

Serves 2 with leftovers.

47 comments:

  1. What beautiful looking tacos. That walk sounds like it was for the very fit. I don't think I would have been able to do anything, not even make tacos after that effort. I would have been horizontal on the couch xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to really convince myself not to take a nap!

      Delete
  2. Good for you and David for hiking up a mountain. The only mountain I have to climb is my mountain of laundry. :) I love halibut and this looks like a perfect way to end a healthy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even make me THINK about my pile of laundry. I'm right there with you.

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued by that clafoutis incident! In the meantime, it sounds like you had a great hike. That's serious legwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short version of the clafoutis story is that it didn't set, even though I followed the recipe. Such a waste of some really gorgeous plums.

      Delete
  4. Hahahaha! Love the title! Yup, I'll take the easy one and then come back for this yummy tacos! Great idea using fish ... I don't believe I've had fish tacos. It's always been some kind of red meat or white. I think I'll like this and much healthier too (not that I'm too bothered about healthy, hehe)! Hope I can find me some halibut but I guess I can always substitute with some other white fish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ping, any other firm white fish should work just fine--and salmon would be good too. I was thinking of getting cod the next time I made these.

      Delete
  5. I go hiking every Sunday morning, just love being in nature. I agree, you don't want to cook anything complicated after that. This is a lovely healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a better person than I am--I love in one of the most gorgeous places in the US, but don't hike nearly often enough.

      Delete
  6. Halibut in a taco? I think this should get you in the fish cooking hall of fame. Love, love, love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous and tasty taco! I love the simple marinade you used for the halibut. I try and go for a hike whenever I can but with our busy schedule it just doesn't happen as often as we'd like it to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really is SO easy--perfect for busy evenings.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely hike my friend, getting right into the midst of nature :D
    And your healthy and delicious meal afterwards is a winner!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my type of lunch! This halibut taco looks really fresh and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this really looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am addicted to your stories and your recipes, that is why I have nominated you for an award, check it out when you get a moment http://www.thesaucygourmet.net/2012/07/wow-three-years-and-two-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have some red snapper in the freezer (caught by The Hubs in the Gulf of Mexico) and we are thinking about grilling it. I am going to use this marinade/seasoning for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, let me know how it works with the red snapper.

      Delete
  13. I have recently become addicted to hiking. The scenery is fantastic - it barely feels like a workout.

    If I ever work up the courage too cook fish at home, these are gong on my list. I'm a Mexican food addict. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking fish at home is a snap, really, especially if you grill it.

      Delete
  14. It must be so beautiful to hike in Anchorage. I love hiking and did a lot while I was in college. After kids, not so much or actually not at all. Waiting another year or two till my 2nd one is strong enough that we don't end up carry her. These fish tacos sounds excellent. I love fish tacos or carnitas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine carrying a child up a mountain, particularly not one of these. I took several years off hiking and am just getting back to it this summer since I'm not training for a marathon.

      Delete
  15. Funny, I always say that there is one degree of separation in Missoula! In some crazy way I sort of like it, because it feels like one bit tight knit community. Love the pics of the hike, so gorgeous!
    I am not a big fish eater, but my hubby is and he would adore these tacos. Sometimes I surprise him with fish and he's always crazy happy about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, yeah, broiled is the way to go! I'd love to have fresh halibut available...I bet these tasted incredible! LOL about your hike...141 flights of stairs? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love halibut and this is a great way to cook it!!Have to try it for sure :)Looks delicious and that also reminds me that I haven't made tacos in a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore fish tacos! I've never tried them with halibut and these look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, it looks so pretty there..it's like 113 where I live today. Gimme a fish taco and this view and I'm a happy camper!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those look absolutely delish. I can only imagine how beautiful Anchorage is right now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ok nice post but... HALIBUT TACOS!!! oh... YO QUIERO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That had to have been some hike! The halibut looks sooo good too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing hike...I'll probably go for seconds and thirds with the halibut tacos after that hike, nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely had seconds but David had thirds...I swear he has a hollow leg.

      Delete
  24. Nice post......I like hiking..Tacos looks super yuummm.....

    ReplyDelete
  25. I prefer the fish broiled rather than fried too! It is way more healthy. Beautiful scenery, i would love to visit this frontier sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Alaskan halibut is so good. A friend of my parents brought some home for us a couple of years ago. It was SO good. I can just imagine how delicious it would be in a taco. Your scenery is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Krista, Wouldn't I love to trade even one week with you...me in Anchorage, and you in South Florida...we an swap homes! I would love to go hiking, and you could enjoy yourself right 'smack' on the beach; because that's where I live these days. I swapped my house for our rental apt. to enjoy the ocean!

    I love your awesome healthy, and light fish tacos,and also the fixings on it. Will grab that recipe from yours, just like the yummy chocolate cake recipe from previously. Thanks for sharing, and have a happy 4th of July:D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful scenery and that must been quite an experience climbing the trail. Lovely fish recipe and yes, my other half will drool over it, maybe I need to try with other type of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That halibut looks very very good I have to say, and the idea of having it in tacos - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like the perfect end to a perfect day. A lovely (if exhausting hike) and fantastic tacos. I love halibut and it is well able for the heat of jalapenos.

    ReplyDelete
  31. this looks wonderful deliciously done halibut

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great way to spend the day. I have to admit it nice reading about being "sweaty" coming down the trail When I think of Alaska, sweaty never comes to mind (smile).

    You had a great trail walk, then a great healthy meal. Awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just catching up the blog--yikes--several months behind! But you must know that I loved the dessert you declared a disaster. No matter what you say...those plums were magical, especially since they were the first I had had this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think one travels more usefully when they travel alone, because they reflect more.
    Flights to Windhoek
    Cheap Flights to Windhoek
    Cheap Air Tickets to Windhoek

    ReplyDelete
  35. Private jet charters are still considered a luxury reserved for politicians, sports teams, and celebrities. This is unfortunate because private jet charters can be not only an affordable option, but an economically feasible one. As with any trip, several variables determine the cost and it is important to thoroughly investigate the charter operator and get a few estimate before "signing on the dotted line" to charter.

    luxury private jets Toronto

    ReplyDelete